XP Security

redsforever 16:54 07 Feb 05

Is there any way that I can protect files and folders on my login from being viewed by other
users on my pc (admittedly family members, but there are certain folders I do not want my children having access to). My son seems to be able to view all my folders, programs etc from his login. (Im running XP PRO).
Any help much appreciated.

Stuartli 17:24 07 Feb 05

The easiest way is to read up the Help and Support advice on Share Your Computer More Safely - that's what the H and S section is provided.

Stuartli 17:25 07 Feb 05

..should read "that's why the H and S section is provided.."

In fact it's even more comprehensive than earlier excellent MS Help files.

Dorsai 17:35 07 Feb 05

You could try click here 'file and folder protector'.

You have the option to 'hide' a file/folder from windows, or to password protect is, but leave it visable. The program itself runs in safe mode as well as normal mode, givin the same level of protection in safe mode.

Even if you know the file/folders's path, windows will not be able to 'see' the folder (or it's contents) at all if it is hidden.

A re-boot into dos with a boot floppy will probably bypass it, but if you also password protect your bios, and set the first boot device to HDD, no one can boot into dos to start with. Make sure not to lose the password for the bios or the File & folder protector though.

Also, someone could just uninstall the app, but if they dont know you have it running, they wont know that some folders have been hidden.

redsforever 18:02 07 Feb 05

having read the help files, ive changed my drive to the ntfs system from fat32, this has allowed me to check a privacy box which protects my documents etc. never heard of this ntfs system before - hope this doesnt cause more harm than good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…