XP and S.B. Audigy2 problems

Keithrow 11:29 15 Aug 03

Since deleting all system restore points to enable me to boot out the 'Monday Virus', I am having problems installing my Audigy2 platinum sound card.
After installing and un-installing too many times to mention, I finally seem to be in a position where all is well except for an very anoying white square top centre of my monitor. The square is side 2cm.
It is not there when start up is taking place but when all programs finish there install process, there it is.
If I try to change the desktop, it is still there.
Any help would be much appreciated
Keith

JIM 11:37 15 Aug 03

Would it be the splash screen that is trying to enable?
Have a look in the start menu to see if it can be disabled.

You may have to custom install software to stop the problem.(installing and un-installing too many times to mention)unfortunatley again.

Keithrow 11:44 15 Aug 03

Thanks for the help Jim.
Unfortunately, I don't know what a 'splash screen' is or how I try to disable it. Can you be more specific?
Many thanks
Keith

Keithrow 11:49 15 Aug 03

If it's any help, I've started up in Diagnostic mode and the white 2cm sq is still there
Keith

JIM 12:29 15 Aug 03

'splash screen' is just a banner/name of the program to say it is loading.Sometimes gives the option to disable at star/up during installtion of the player etc.

You may be as i said disable it if the option is in the media/jukebox player? and if that is what may be trying to open.

Go to start/all programs/then to or may be called creative /player,open the player centre?,click on settings,in that box if in your Player is the enable splash screen,click to disable then ok.
Reboot and see what happens on startup.

Bear in mind iam using Audigy 1 but should not be to much difference.Post back and if not the case will see what other idea's may come.

Keithrow 13:51 15 Aug 03

Thanks again Jim.
I've had problems connecting to the internet hence the delay. I think you are on to something as Media source player is not loading correctly. I'll go to the web site and see if I can download the latest drivers ect.
I'll get back to you asap.
Keith

Keithrow 19:54 15 Aug 03

I'm still having problems with the Media source player software.
I keep getting error messages on installing this program. The errors centre around 'CTRegSvr.EXE-uanble to locate this component'....'plxCore.plx not found'...and 'Cdrw32.dll not found'.
If I go onto the Creative web site to download updates, I get a corrupt files message.
Anyone have any ideas?

JIM 12:44 16 Aug 03

I am pretty sure that you are going to have to clear out S.B. Audigy2 Completely from your system
or you may end up spending hours poss getting nowhere.

I also am sure that you MAY have to take out your sound card then replace to ensure a clean install,but you can try what i propose first if you like.

You seem to have a new system,would you take on removal of sound card internally.

Would try this first,make sure you PRINT OF and follow.

Sound Blaster Audigy and Audigy 2 Cleansweep.

To cleansweep the Sound Blaster Audigy or Sound Blaster Audigy 2 in Windows XP follow these steps.

1 Go to Control Panel, Add Remove Programs and uninstall all listings related to your audio card

2 Insert the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy or Sound Blaster Audigy 2 installation CD into your CD-ROM drive.Exit from the installation wizard if it autoruns.

3 Click Start, Run and then Browse. Browse to X:\Audio\Drivers\CTZAPXX.EXE, where X represents the CD Rom Drive.

4 Select Driver Uninstallation for WDM drivers and click OK.

5 When prompted to restart, say No.

6 Click Start, Run, type MSCONFIG and press Enter.

7 Check the box next to Selective Startup and deselect Load Startup Items.

8 Select the SERVICES tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services.

9 Uncheck all results and click OK.

10 Restart the computer, and reinstall the Sound Blaster drivers and applications if desired with your original CD supplied befor going for any update.(IMPORTANT).

11 Click Start, Run, type MSCONFIG and press Enter.

12 Insert a check to the left of Selective Startup and select Load Startup Items.

Will leave the sound card poss removal procedure for now.See how you do.

Keithrow 22:06 16 Aug 03

Thanks again for your help Jim.
It is a new system, actually it's my son's.
I don't have a problem in moving the card if it should be required.
I'm going to try what you have so kindly suggested and will let you know what happens.
I have spent hours trying to get this working. It seems to have a problem with 'Media Source' and at present deleting this, or not installing it, removes the dreaded 'white square'.
I was begining to think that the virus we picked up had corrupted the system, hopefully this is not the case.
My thanks again
Keith

Keithrow 14:12 17 Aug 03

Well, I've tried what you suggested Jim but no joy.
I still got the error message,' plxCore.plx could not be located'.
I made sure I got rid of all files conected to 'Creative' by searching and deleting.
I followed your instructions Jim, twice, but still have problems with the plxCore.plx file.
I think it's time for the removal of the card Jim.
Keith

JIM 14:54 17 Aug 03

Go to the following link to see if installing via auto may install.

If you are a first-time user of Creative Software AutoUpdate, you may be prompted to authorize a download of the update component, which is required for system inspection. Please ensure that the content is signed by Creative Labs, Inc., and then click "Yes".
Please ensure that all your Creative products are connected and installed on the same PC on which Creative Software AutoUpdate is run.

click here=

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…