XP reverted to initial settings

StephShadow 15:31 06 Aug 07

I logged on to my user name today (home PC using XP home since Nov 03) and it's acting as though I've only just bought it.

Start up menu shows 'Tour Windows XP' and such like. No sign of my regular programs.

Opened Picture It - same thing, as though I'd never used it before. Same thing with Word, lost all my settings and last used docs don't show.

Explorer: it's showing all files as icons.

IE7 looks okay.

I've rebooted it and checked Windows Update.

Running Norton IS 2007 and it's up to date.

Any ideas most welcome. Steph

I am Spartacus 15:40 06 Aug 07

Possibly a corrupt user profile click here

birdface 15:47 06 Aug 07

Probably just mentioned it, Norton.If all other ideas do not work,Delete Norton,Run Norton Removal tool,Then run C Cleaner,And then reinstall Norton.Or try starting in safe mode,[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts] And try last good configuration.Or go into System Restore and restore to another date.

StephShadow 16:00 06 Aug 07

Seems like Spartacus may be correct here. i just logged on to another profile and their stuff looks fine. Thanks for the link, will try this out now and let you know (I thought I'd be better off asking here before doing anything, and I was right!) Steph

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced