XP restore points ?

Magik™ 12:58 09 Apr 03

hi, am i right in thinking that XP makes it's own restore points?. every time i put something in i make my own, and that is all that is there, if it does do it's own, where would i find them?

thanks all...

galatic door 13:07 09 Apr 03

The registry stores System Restore keys and values in three places.
1.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sr
2.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SrService
3.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

GroupFC 13:10 09 Apr 03

but my understanding is that XP does create its own restore points if system restore has been enabled. From the xp help pages:-To turn on System Restore
Open System Properties.
Ensure that the Turn off System Restore check box is cleared.
Note

To open System Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.

To access system restore go to:- Programmes>Accessories>System tools>system restore.

Hope this helps.

galatic door 13:29 09 Apr 03

yes you are right and you can set the time for how long you want xp to make a restore point on its own.

Rhuddlan 13:32 09 Apr 03

I have noticed that XP creates it's own restore points, such as when you install a program or update the operating system from the Internet. I had problems with my user accounts and I used system restore to restore to a previous time a week earlier when I installed Norton Antivirus 2003, it's really useful, it's just a shame it's not in earlier versions of Windows.

GroupFC 13:41 09 Apr 03

Ok so now you've got me!

Can you explain a liitle more about setting the time for how long you want xp to make a restore point and how you do it? (with apologies, but your post didn't really make much sense to me).

graham 14:38 09 Apr 03

My PC 'help' says Restore Points are created daily and at the time of significant events. These are stored for one to three weeks.

leo49 14:44 09 Apr 03

Read what MS has to say about how it works.

http ://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp

[Take out the space after http]

Regards

Magik™ 17:00 09 Apr 03

first. sorry i have not come back earlier, the other half thinks shopping is more important.

thank you all for replying, i have now got the gist of it.and thank you for the link..

thanks

askgreg 19:54 14 Apr 03

I don't have XP myself, but I was asked recently about reinstallation.
Will the 'Restore' point help to cut out the necessity to reinstall.? I thought it might well do.
The problem is with 'Internet Explorer';is it just possible that the fault could be found by doing one of these 'Restores' or would a reinstallation of IE6 be advisable.?

Many thanks in anticipation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…