xp restarting

conrail 08:57 02 Feb 04

win xp pro when starting gets to splash screen the restarts with options, start in safe mode, restart using last config, start windows, tried all 3 but once gets to splash screen then goes back above option, installed slave hd 1 week ago then set up a router 2 days ago, system worked for 2 days after then when moving important files onto slave drive system froze, cntrol/alt/del would not work then started above, canybody any ideas please as lot of college work on master, have norton ghost restore on 8 cd's but cd 4 gives error of missing text file and wont go past that

Diodorus Siculus 10:13 02 Feb 04

Can you change the slave disk to master, install your OS onto that, and then copy your files from the old master to it? That way you should have the files you need.

conrail 10:34 02 Feb 04

thanks, will try that, have tried changing slave to master and running ghost, this is where I found that I had a corrupt file on the ghost back up

conrail 10:35 02 Feb 04

one more thing Diodorus Siculus, when installing slave I formatted, if I change to master, as already formatted, will I have to run fdisk?

Stormpool 10:56 02 Feb 04

Sometimes if just restarts after the Adv Start Menu if the hard drive is corrupt.

Try running chkdsk /r from the rec console.

Diodorus Siculus 11:11 02 Feb 04

"if I change to master, as already formatted, will I have to run fdisk?" - no, there is no need to do that - as it is formatted, you can install to it as it is.

conrail 19:45 07 Feb 04

looks like windows became corrupt, the drive was partitioned so have reinstalled windows which loaded onto d drive and made that primary (C)? and runs ok, now askes for a password when I log on, just clicking enter starts windows, any ideas on how to stop it asking for password as non set up

VoG II 19:47 07 Feb 04

Start, Run, type in

control userpasswords2

and click OK

Untick "Users must enter a username and password......"

conrail 12:49 09 Feb 04

thanks all, much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…