XP reporting no disc in CD writer

Woody19 14:08 23 Jan 06

I have a IBM T30 running XP SR1. I recently had our IT Dept swap the DVD reader for a DVD reader/CD writer. As far as I can tell all of the drivers are loaded and up to date.

XP will let me go through the whole preparation process but when I tell it to write to CD it tells me the drive is empty even though it has a virgin disc in it. If I try burning with Nero (V5) it works perfectly and is surprisingly quick.

In every other respect the drive works perfectly. I have been through all of the system properties for the drive and even checked the Registry - they all believe it to be a writer and able to write up to 24x. IT of course are no help at all!!

Totally-braindead 14:31 23 Jan 06

If you are trying to burn a DVD with windows built in software it will fail as the burner does not support DVDs only CDs

Woody19 14:47 23 Jan 06

Thanks for the reply, but please read my original again? I said it lets me go through the preparation but when I try to write to <CD> it says there is no disc present. I also said I have a DVD reader/CD writer so I hardly think I would try to write to a DVD would I?

Klof Ron 15:13 23 Jan 06

click here maybe the drive is not compatible with XP. Have you tried different brands of media?

Diemmess 15:21 23 Jan 06

XP is pretty good, or it wouldn't sell, but dedicated software (Nero) is usually better.

Just a guess but is it possible that XP still has it configured as the old read only drive? Nero after all gives you a choice between any named CD-X present for recording. I know you have only 1, but perhaps Windows hasn't woken up to the change?

Totally-braindead 18:59 23 Jan 06

Sorry Woody19 guess I'll have to learn to read. If you're not using media player 10 yet you could download it and see what happens, that may cure it. In most CD burning programs you often have to update the program for newer writers as they are often not supported. I presume windows own burner is the same.

Woody19 21:57 23 Jan 06

I should have said at the start, XP sees the drive correctly in every respect both on-screen and in the BIOS: it knows it is a writer, it knows its speed, it knows what type it is, it has the correct and latest drivers loaded. The drive is the same unit fitted as standard in the later T41 and T42 machines albeit it needed an adapter tray to make it fit (plastic mount only, no 'lectrics.) I'm not using Media Player to write - I simply drag the files onto the drive in Explorer and then tell it to write - at which point it tells me there is no disc in the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…