XP Repairs - Where's the Password?

Danny D 19:46 28 Mar 05

Hello

Recently had a problem with my XP. I wanted to try and repair it. When I powered up the system with the XP disc in I selected the option of repairing XP. It then asked me for the 'Administrator'password.

Only problem is that there wasn't one as foar as I was aware of. So I couldn't repair I ended up re-formatting and re-installing XP.

At no time in the install was I asked to set any password. So therefore if I were ever to want to try and repair XP again and it asks for a password what do I do?

Thanks

Dannny

AndySD 19:53 28 Mar 05

Either Leave it blank or (assuming you are using Home) set an Admin Password (via safe mode.

1. Turn off your computer.

2.Power on and hit F8 just after the BIOS check is complete. Select Safe Mode from the List. Its around the top of the list.

3.On the next page press ENTER.
4.Work you way to the Desktop. Goto Control panel...by:
*Clicking on Start\settings\ControlPanel

5.Double Click on Users Accounts

6.Select the Administrators Account from the list.

7.Apply a password.

Then restart the system.

john-232317 19:53 28 Mar 05

If you didn`t put one in then dont enter anything, just click ok.

Danny D 21:13 28 Mar 05

Dadyassa

I thought of that one at the time, tried it but it didn't like it either

Danny

Danny D 21:17 28 Mar 05

AndySD

If no password has been set surely logic would say 'Dadyassa's' answer would be correct although I tried it at the time and it didn't work. Basically if it's not got a password it should co-operate and repair but it wouldn't.

Danny

AndySD 21:23 28 Mar 05

I would sugest you set a password anyway just for security reasons.

reddwarfcrew 21:43 28 Mar 05

just to add to my postings.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:39 29 Mar 05

Just hit 'enter' and you will have no need of a password.

G

mark2 07:38 29 Mar 05

I had a similar problem to this with a pre-installed XP Home (pre SP1)the workaround was to download the boot floppies from M$ and boot using those to enter the recovery console.

I cannot find the source where I learnt this at the time but it worked , no password was required.

lotvic 03:39 25 May 05

This will allow future access to repair without box asking for password:

start > control panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Security Options - scroll down to Recovery Console > Allow automatic administrative logon - set it to Enabled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…