XP repair install

beeuuem 23:30 10 Jul 07

My sisters' computer has refused to boot. It is an Evesham Axis 1400 running XP SP2. Having tried all the safe mode options without success she has tried a repair install.

The XP disk boots,copies all the files and then freezes at the blue screen.
As it doesn't get beyond this it is not possible to get to the tools in the repair console.
Any and all suggestions welcome.Could it be a HDD failure?

Stuartli 23:48 10 Jul 07

You are probably confusing an XP Repair with the Recovery Console - you have to ensure that you select Repair and NOT Recovery Console.

IIRC it's two Install steps before reaching the Repair stage. See:

click here

beeuuem 00:16 11 Jul 07

It doesn't get that far. After the initial loading of files fom the CD the screen goes blue with the message 'Starting Windows XP' and stops dead.
The next screen is where the option to install or repair should appear. Have tried with two disks so I'm as sure as can be that they are OK.

Pamy 11:00 11 Jul 07

Do you have a diagnostic prog to check your HDD, such as one from Maxtor or Seagate etc. You may well find that you have "Bad sectors" on it and this is why XP will not run because it does a check of its own.

beeuuem 18:06 11 Jul 07

That is sort of what I was thinking. I have D/L the Samsung tool and am sending along with a few other tools on a bootable CD.
As she is 150 miles away I can't just pop round to take a look!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…