xp repair - how?

second best 18:18 28 Jun 03

hello, i would like to reinsatall windowsxp in the same directory without overwritng my programes. can this be done. here is alint to my previous prob, but it is a little long winded, so beqar with it . thnx

click here

spikeychris 18:46 28 Jun 03

Your question: re-install to the same directory.... you can perform a repair re-install that will not touch your progs. I had a quick look at your link and lost the will to live so if this has been covered already then apologies....

Boot the computer using the XP CD.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

Do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you do not want to load Recovery Console).
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

You will not loose any progs but you will have to Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation.

Chris

second best 19:40 28 Jun 03

thnxs for that chris, but i still appear to be having problems. i have changed bios to 1st boot cdrom, but my machine still boots up. i've been looking at it for a couple of days now, so could you take me thru it step by step, from shut down to installlation. soorry, thnxs paul.

Steven135 19:51 28 Jun 03

If you look carefully at the boot up screen you should see an option to, 'press any key to boot from CD' then do as spikeychris has said.

if you just put the cd in and let it autorun you can follow the instructions to make the repairs without actually having to boot from the cd.

Gaz 25 21:06 28 Jun 03

Information at click here might help, Questions and Answers it is in.

spikeychris 21:27 28 Jun 03

Lost you there mate, let it autorun? and follow what instructions....

second best 00:59 29 Jun 03

yeah guys thnx. there was a prob with my comp not recognising my d drive, and instaed using my er writer (e) as a source. anyway, ,i have put the disk in the writer drive and have had the option you are all talking about, howerver, , it is only recognising my c drive and not my f drive, which is the one im trrying to fix. any thing ales i can do ?

MIke 21:11 02 Dec 04

ad to my listings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…