xp repair - distorted screen

hargranules 09:21 16 Jan 06

Hi, I have been doing an xp repair for the last few days, finally achieved the result and had a normal working pc. Next time I turned the pc on I can see nothing but coloured lines going across screen.

Computer is xp and as I say was working, apart from when i was doing repair it was asking for a viaagp driver file which it wouldn't load even though it was on cd so I skipped it, thought it was ok as it was working fine.

Please help!!!!

Gongoozler 09:42 16 Jan 06

Hi hargranules. via agp driver will, as the name suggests, be the driver for your motherboard interface to the graphics card. I've never heard of this having the effect you describe, but it's quite possible that it could be corrupted in this way. Try downloading new motherboard drivers from Via Arena click here

hargranules 09:48 16 Jan 06

I am a bit stuck now because the screen is just full of coloured lines so I cannot repair or anything.

When i tried to download the drivers i put on a cd, directed it straight to the driver and it says it cannot find file etc, any ideas??

Obviously can't do anything until I can see the screen.

Gongoozler 09:53 16 Jan 06

When you first switch on the computer, before Windows starts to load, are the black and white boot-up screens readable?

hargranules 09:55 16 Jan 06

No just all different coloured lines. As i say am stuck. I've never seen this before!

Methedrine 10:21 16 Jan 06

Try reseating the graphics card and make sure that none of the pins on the monitor cable are bent.

Gongoozler 10:27 16 Jan 06

Yes, the fact that the picture is broken up before Windows loads means that this isn't a software fault, but a hardware one. The most likely cause is that the graphics card isn't making proper connection to the motherboard. Unplug it and refit it. Try unplugging the monitor cable, sheck the pins and refit it. Try the same thing with the memory stick(s). If none of that helps, see if you can borrow another graphics card - even an old pci one - to see if its a faulty graphics card problem.

Gongoozler 08:38 17 Jan 06

Hi hargranules. I'm pleased to see that this has been resolved. For our future reference, what was the cure?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…