xp repair

the golfer 10:03 06 May 08

I have been trying to do a'repair installation' on my hp pavilion 7910 desktop running win xp home. It keeps asking for i386 file. The file is on the winxp home installation disc and I have copied it to another disc and it still cannot find it. Am I doing something wrong or do I have another problem????

johndrew 10:15 06 May 08

It is likely your PC had XP installed in a slightly different way to a simple `disk` installation and as a result the Registry can`t find the file.

If you have two DVD/CD drives, have you tried the repair from both?

Is there a copy of the i386 file in your C: partition/drive?

These are both common problems but I`m certain there are others. If you still have problems post again and we`ll try to think of other things.

the golfer 11:42 06 May 08

I have tried as you said. It gets as far as Installing Windows and starts looking for i386 and I cannot get any further. I have tried as you said in another cd drive. Whether there is a copy on the drive or not I do not know as the computer only has 30 gb hd and 440 mb memory.

johndrew 17:34 06 May 08

If you can get to another PC with XP on it you could make an Ultimate Boot Disk click here and click here, it was also on a recent PCA disk I think.

With this you could get into your drive (hopefully) and see if a copy of i386 is on C: if not you should be able to put it there. The folder is about 530MB so will fit on the drive easily enough.

I don`t understand what you mean `.. 440 mb memory.` You must have more than that.

wis 21:45 06 May 08

would you check
go run regedit
hkey.local machine\software\microsoft\windows
\currentversion\setup click to open
where does it point to

wis 22:02 06 May 08

sorry source path where does it point to

the golfer 17:32 07 May 08

Thanks for your help, but I was in such a mess I put it in for repair. Many thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…