xp repair

MANDY 19:12 27 Sep 03

hi i am trying to repair a installation of xp pro
on a 2gig laptop it gets to the installing devices then at 34 minutes left it just stops and goes no further the screen keeps changing etc but just like it is frozen have left stood for ages but have to restart and then it just does the same thing does anyone know how to stop it restarting setup when it boots up can,t afford to lose data on hard drive any ideas anyone thanks andy.

stourry 19:45 27 Sep 03

hi mandy are you trying to re-install or have you chosen new install i had this problem with xp pro and it hung at thsi point i had to go for new install cant remember what happened to system files but i think they were okay
lets know how you got on
ray

MANDY 21:05 27 Sep 03

no trying to do a repair because cust has done something with system tho not sure what all i know is that when you try to run a program it just won,t open the file no matter what you do i thought i would try a repair of system files and then this has happened andy.

oglemire 22:35 27 Sep 03

have you removed any PC cards and ethernet / modem cables? it may be worth getting a laptop to IDE converter and moving the data to a PC before continueing this way you can safely do what stourey suggests

Cesar 10:57 29 Sep 03

Have you tried running:SFC /scannow

spikeychris 12:46 29 Sep 03

Your initial question > "does anyone know how to stop it restarting setup when it boots up" this will only happen if the installation failed or you hit any key when the "hit any key to boot from CD" appears.

Are you using the repair console or is it the repair installation?

click here and read war and peace part II

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…