XP removal and reinstall

Daddycheese 10:46 11 Oct 03

To cut a very long story short, I want/need to remove and reinstall XP Home, but am unsure as to the correct procedure. Do I just insert the recovery cd and wait for prompts, or is it a bit more involved than that? The pc in question is a Medion, 1.8 P4,512 Ram, XP home.
Thanks in anticipation!

Forum Editor 11:19 11 Oct 03

will restore the computer to its factory default condition.

Reinstalling an operating system is a fairly drastic procedure, is there a particular problem that has precipitated this - perhaps we can help?

Daddycheese 21:25 11 Oct 03

800 words? Fingers crossed!After 10 weeks, 2 discs,2modems,and at least 30 phone calls to AOL , all attempts to install AOL bb via Ntl cabling failed, and FIVE different pcs were used, 2 brand new out of the box,another one having had XP taken out and reinstalled.We more or less decided to stick to dialup,and while installing Windows updates had a power cut. When I restarted, I passed on the suggestion to run Scandisc. From that point on,AOL played up, emails wouldnt open, web sites couldnt be found.removing and reinstalling AOL did nothing.So I tried a system restore. The window opened with a white background but went no further.I had previously tried another factory restore( 2 done some weeks ago)using Application and Support CD, but couldnt proceed since it came up file missing "retten.exe" I think.Someone suggested that since windows had been removed and reloaded, there were no factory settings to restore to.I have seen something like "go to last good configuration" but cannot remember where.That is when I decided that a complete removal and reload would be the safest option,( using Product Recovery CD I assume).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…