XP Remote Assistance

kevvyb 12:15 07 Dec 03

am trying to connect with a friend to provide some assistance. We are both running XP home.

We are both running ZoneAlarm. I can use Remote Assistance through the firewall at my end and I have ensured that the firewall at the other end is configured in exactly the same way but we can only connect the firewall is lowered at the other end.

Does anyone have any clues about this?

Forum Editor 12:39 07 Dec 03

That's the one being helped, must have port 3389 open to allow inbound and outbound communication between the two computers, and unless this is the case the remote assistance feature in WinXP won't work.

The Windows XP inbuilt firewall is automatically configured to allow this two way traffic via 3389, but if you use another firewall you'll have to tell it to allow the access. Personally I think it's worth just lowering the remote firewall completely for the help session - the remote connection is actually pretty secure. It was designed that way,with a view to preventing unauthorised access.

kevvyb 14:19 07 Dec 03

Thanks for that. It's reassuring but from the point of view of being visible on the internet, lowering the firewall for any length of time can't be a good idea even though the remote session is itself quite secure??? Or am I missing something?

powerless 19:46 07 Dec 03

Disable the firewall.

kevvyb 23:38 07 Dec 03

.....ensuring remote user had port 3389 open.

Free version of ZoneAlarm does not allow opening of specific ports so workaround was to put helpers IP address (mine) into remote users firewall trusted zone, setting trusted zone to medium security and internet zone to High.

Remote user's machine then showed as 'stealthed' on Shields Up but remote access was allowed to my IP address.

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…