XP reload from recovery disc

Mike_R 17:07 04 May 07

I've installed a Netgear DG834G on my grandchildrens Evesham desktop and Acer laptop. The Acer still works OK but the desktop was failing on error797 when trying to get online. Yesterday, I played around with the Broadband settings and then restored back to a good recovery point, but still error 797.
Today I switched off the Netgear for about an hour, and then switched it on again. I then switched on the desktop and got the "safe mode etc" screen. I tried "normal" and then back to a good confiuration, but it kept on cycling around to "safe mode etc" screen.
When I had this once before, Evesham support talked me through the system reload from the recovery disc but I can't remember what I had to do. All I remember is holding a key down to get into the BIOS and at some stage continually tapping a key. Can anyone give me idiot proof instructions, please? step by step

FreeCell 17:42 04 May 07

MikeR
Can you give a few more details of the desktop configuration. What OS?

From memory eror 797 was associated with a dial-up network modem problem and you wouldn't be using this with a broadband link. The Netgear should be connected via network cable (or wirelessly) to the desktop. Which?

Have you disabled any dial-up connections?

beeuuem 17:44 04 May 07

The 797 error is normally related to a dial up modem error. Either the driver is corrupted or Windows can't 'see' the modem. This can be rectified once you get XP working again.

As your main problem is the computer not starting if you can boot in Safe mode try Start >'Run' and type 'sfc /scannow' (note the space between the c and /) which will check all the protected files in XP. You will need the Evesham XP recovery disk for this.

Only if that fails should you try a repair installation.

From click here
Repair The Windows XP Installation

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. To enter the BIOS hit 'Delete' at start up.
Go to the BIOS FEATURES section and set the first boot device to CD-ROM; second boot device to HDD.
Press F10 to save the settings and exit the BIOS.
The computer should now look to boot from the CD on start up, you will need to accept this by pushing any key.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer. (You can also boot with a Windows 98/Me Startup disk with CD support and run WINNT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD)

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP (in your case, the one you wish to repair) is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

wee eddie 17:46 04 May 07

Is the old Modem still there in the case.

When I first went Broadband I had some problems which were solved when I removed the old Dial-up Modem.

Mike_R 23:15 04 May 07

The Netgear DG834G is connected by an ethernet cable. There is still a dial-up connection listed in the internet options, but it is not the default Broadband setting. I did try removing it but still got error 797. The old Sagem modem is no longer connected but the software is, I think, still in situ. Nothing was altered to my knowledge to cause the error 797. It seemed to come out of the blue.
The repair instructions seem understandable but there is no mention of continually tapping a key that the Evesham help desk got me to do. Has anyone any ideas on what this was all about?

beeuuem 23:41 04 May 07

The key tapping was probably to continue to hit 'Delete' until the BIOS opened. You only get a window of couple of seconds to so the norm is to repeatedly operate the key from the time of switching the computer on until you are sure it is opening. I'd try the sfc / scannow before doing a repair. If you do go for a repair you will need the 25 digit XP key to complete the repair.

Normally, if you are connnecting using ethernet in Internet Options > Connections the 'Never dial a connection' option is used.
It could be that the the computer is trying to connect via the Sagem modem and giving the error message.

Mike_R 09:41 05 May 07

I seem to remember that in internet options it was set to dial or something like that. Re the last time I was talked through the recovery, I did the scannow which was OK, and then loaded the recovery CD but didn't enter any XP key. It was in the reload operation that I was asked to continue to tap a key. Sorry to be thick but what are the blow by blow procedures for the recovery as distinct from the repair?

beeuuem 12:59 05 May 07

I'm afraid that I'm not sure of the current recovery procedure on an Evesham. All I have done is a complete reinstall or a repair on my sisters computer and as she is 150 miles away I can't pop round for a look!

I hope that someone with more nous than me will reply and give help soon.

beeuuem 13:13 05 May 07

Have you tried 'phoning Evesham Technical support?

Mike_R 17:51 05 May 07

I phoned Evesham last time. They were very helpful but it took for ever holding on for a line. I think that I am halfway there. On a quick visit, I got XP going by starting on safe mode and rolling forward to the last restart point. I think that my previous roll back must have shafted something. I still have to sort out error 797 on my next visit. I am hopeful armed with the advice received so far.

beeuuem 19:24 05 May 07

Good luck - sorry not to be able to help more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…