XP Reinstallation.

askgreg 20:07 14 Apr 03

I don't have XP myself but I was asked recently about reinstallation.
Will the 'Restore' point help to cut out the necessity to reinstall.? I thought, in my ignorance, that it might well do.
The problem , as I understand it,relates to 'Internet Explorer'; would the 'Restore' point help in this case or would it be advisable to try and reinstall IE6.?

Many thanks in anticipation of you chaps putting me right. Greg Askey

spikeychris 20:13 14 Apr 03

System restore will take you back to a happier time so there is a good chance it will work. There is also "last known good configuration" which you would reach by pressing F8 at startup.

There is also sfc /scannow which you would run from a command prompt, this would repair system files that are damaged or corrupt. IE contains system files so its always worth a try.

Ironman556 20:33 14 Apr 03

It's got to be worth a try hasn't it? Backup any documents etc anyway, and if the restore goes wrong or fails then nothing's lost, just reformat.

XP should let you re-intall if you stick the disk in while in XP OS, and then follow the commands onscreen. It's not the cleanest way to reformat, but it should be fairly painless.

AndySD 20:47 14 Apr 03

Before you reformat XP gives you the option to do a repair instalation. You will not lose any settings or files but will need to redo any updates. click here

askgreg 21:05 14 Apr 03

Thanks for all your responses,I will take on board your suggestions and pass on the info to the 'injured' party.Lets hope one of the suggestions will do the trick.
I'll keep you informed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…