xp reinstall wants sp2 cd but i dont have it

graham410 10:46 28 Dec 09

Can somone help homer simpson:
I have overwritten my xp files (which had been updated by sp2 and sp3)from a restore CD made before the updates. Now it is prompting me to insert the "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD" which I dont have.
I have changed the boot order to boot from CD drive first.
I have the SP2 download from m soft site in the form of file:
WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe but when i insert it at the prompt it says:
"The file "asms" on windows XP home edition service pack 2 CD is needed"
I have tried getting the sp2 fix via my other pc and windows update butthats not working for me?
can anyone help ?

LinH 10:59 28 Dec 09

graham410

It's possible that your optical drive is not communicating with your PC. Google something like 'asms file for windows xp SP2' on your other PC and take note.

LinH

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:04 28 Dec 09
  LinH 11:12 28 Dec 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\

That's a better way to do it! How do you do the 'click here' feature?

Please excuse my stupidity.

LinH

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 28 Dec 09

Just copy the address from the browser address bar and paste into the reply box, it will change to a click here when posted.

graham410 12:23 28 Dec 09

My system is communicating with the CD drive, as it is ok when I put in the recovery disk and reboot. I will try the install windows to another partition and try and run the SP2 CD from there. I had already gotten windows to install and run on that basis but of course as soon as I linked to the net the auto update overfilled the partition as it was only the max size of 3075 kbytes?.
Theres enough space to take the windows pre-SP2 but not after.
I have been tempted to just use it like that but I am not able to install my wireless connection without the SP2 update. Damn!

graham410 12:59 28 Dec 09

I have changed to my CD drive letter on the command prompt and typed in filename.exe above and it has self extracted to C: and right now appears to be continuing the set-up process, thank you for your help its seemingly going to work now thank you
Or am I counting my chickens? lol.

LinH 13:02 28 Dec 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Cheers.

LinH

graham410

Why don't you start over again, this time with a partition size that can accomodate XP with all it's updates and other programs?

LinH

graham410 13:05 28 Dec 09

Ah yes I was counting my chickens before they hatched.It got as far as beginning an inventory then told me the "keyset is not defined" and shut down.
Anyone got a big hammer I can use to kill it?
or when I calm down more advice please?
Sorry the regedit thing above was too much for me, but is that where the key definition will go?

graham410 13:07 28 Dec 09

LinH I tried to increase partition above 3075 but it wouldnt let me?

graham410 13:42 28 Dec 09

would 3075 megabytes be big enough ?...I tried that but when i Had it updating it filled up totally?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…