XP reinstall leaves 2 hard drives

Newuser2292 15:37 13 Jan 10

I have done a clean reinstall of windows XP but a message quickly appeared that the disk was full ........ it turns out the partition I had made left me with a 10gig hard drive which quickly filled up, and an unused sector of 110gig!

I reinstalled, but now find I have two drives labelled 'C' and 'D'!

Also, the sound card I had installed is not recognised any more. Previously, sound was catered for onboard although I do not have the drivers. So I have no sound.

Boo.

Any ideas anyone? Should I just reinstall XP again? If so, how do I get rid of the two drives?

Thanks in advance.

Graphicool1 15:45 13 Jan 10

When you reinstall do you reformat first?

GaT7 17:07 13 Jan 10

Delete the both partitions at the start of the install - this will create one partition. Then format & reinstall XP.

If you would like partitions (no harm in this), delete both partitions as above, then consider making the 1st/system partition at least 20Gb in size.

When you have your system up & running, try to move all data (as it accumulates) from the 1st to the 2nd partition. This will ensure the 1st partition doesn't run out of space & is always left with at least 50% empty for optimal performance.

If you install many large programs, especially modern 3D games, then a single partition will suit better. Or, you can direct each program's setup to install these on the 2nd partition - so the 1st/system partition remains as small as possible. G

Rock Savage 17:16 13 Jan 10

No, I didn't re-format, Graphicool1. Should I, and if so how?

Thanks Crossbow, I will try that. It should not take too long as there is not much on it and no large programs / modern games will be installed, save for MS Office.

Will this help my sound problem?

Cheers both!

GaT7 17:25 13 Jan 10

"No, I didn't re-format, Graphicool1. Should I, and if so how?"

Delete both partitions (leave as is or partition), & then format before installing XP.

Regarding the sound issue, what's your sound card's make & model? G

Rock Savage 13:09 15 Jan 10

Hi Crossbow7,

Thanks for that.

The sound card is a Creative Soundblaster. I don't know the model number as the PC is actually in my dad's! I will get back as soon as I can.

Graphicool1 14:34 15 Jan 10

"No, I didn't re-format, Graphicool1. Should I, and if so how?"

Yes you should.
Delete both partitions, as Crossbow7 said.
Then right click the icon of that drive and in the pop-up menu click on 'Format'

GaT7 14:42 15 Jan 10

"Then right click the icon of that drive and in the pop-up menu click on 'Format'"

Graphicool1, I don't think that's possible in a XP install - I'm referring to the blue DOS-like screens one gets when installing XP.

Rock Savage, here's a XP install guide with screenshots click here. G

Rock Savage 15:11 15 Jan 10

Cheers for that both of you.

I used a guide similar to that one but didn't format --- I think!

I will print it off and try it tomorrow when I am at my pa's.

Hopefully I will report back with good news!

Cheers. RS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017