//some 3rd party need geo

XP reinstall advice please

Jon Storm 11:42 01 Jan 05

I want to do a clean reinstall of Windows XP plus a hardware upgrade, and I'd be grateful for some advice. Can I do a clean reinstall just by booting from my XP Home CD? Can I delete the two partitions currently on my HD and format the whole thing as a single partition as part of the process, or do I need special software for that?

I also want to replace the motherboard's integrated graphics controller with an AGP graphics card. If I just plug a card into the AGP slot (currently empty), will that automatically disable the onboard chip and reclaim the system memory it is using, or do I need to do something else as well?

Last but not least, would it be better to do the XP reinstall before the graphics card upgrade, afterwards, or at the same time?

AndySD 11:45 01 Jan 05

Can you tell us the Make/Model of the Motherboard?

Jon Storm 11:53 01 Jan 05

The motherboard manual I was supplied calls it an MSI K7N2M/K7N2GM MS-6777/G (v1.X) M-ATX Mainboard. Does that help?

bremner 11:56 01 Jan 05

Have a look at this for an explanation of installing XP click here

The on board graphics can be disabled in the BIOS - I would get the machine up and runing correctly and then install the graphics card but it really doesn't matter greatly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 01 Jan 05
  ventanas 11:57 01 Jan 05

You may be able to disable the onboard graphics in the bios. Turn the memory down to zero. I would put the new card in first, and then boot from the CD, reformat and reinstall. It should be picked up and installed with an XP driver which you can change to the one provided with the card.

ventanas 11:59 01 Jan 05

Hi bremner, I must type more quickly. :-))

LinuxPenguin 17:25 01 Jan 05

right reastart your pc and enter the bios with f2 del f8 or f10... in that you need to set the coot priority, its somewhere in the bios, dependent on what bios you have...

set it to use the cdrom first, then hard drive second.

(the cdrom is probably called ATAPI cd rom)

then restart with the xp disc in the drive...

when it comes to partitioning in the setup, use CFdisk if the option is available.

delete all partitions.

create one big partition that fills the entire drive. id recommend using ntfs even tho its slower because of reliability issues.

select to use windows on that partition, and click thorough format...

then there you go...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…