xp reinstall

Billyfish 23:14 04 Mar 04

Will I lose all my photos and music files if I reinstall windows xp pro'on top of existing xp pro'.Windows will not start as there is either a corrupt or missing windows\system32\config\system file. Help please!!

Indigo 1 23:20 04 Mar 04

You can just do a repair by inserting the disc and following the on screen prompts as though you were going to install but you get the option to repair, you will not lose your files.

PEEBLESHIREMAN 00:17 05 Mar 04

i would go for the repairINDIGO is right and its quite straight forward

Kinder Scout 00:25 05 Mar 04

This is one way to repair:
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive (Boot from CD). Insert your Windows XP CD (Your XP Licence key will be required at some point), restart the computer. When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do NOT choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

temp003 02:17 05 Mar 04

That is a very common XP problem which may recur even after a repair.

You can try the Recovery Console first. If it doesn't succeed, try the full repair installation.

Boot up with XP CD and press R to enter Recovery Console. It should then scan for XP installation on your computer and show 1. C:\WINDOWS

Press 1 and Enter. You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. Enter it, or if you haven't set one, leave it blank and press Enter. Then you'll get to the C:\WINDOWS> prompt. At the prompt, type:

cd system32\config

and press Enter. Then type:

ren system system.bad

and press Enter. Then type:

cd c:\windows\repair

and press Enter. Type:

copy system c:\windows\system32\config\system

and press Enter. When that's done, type exit and press Enter to restart. Remove CD to see if it will boot into XP.

If not, boot with XP CD again and follow Kinder Scout's suggestion to do a repair installation. After the full repair, you'll need to reapply all Windows updates which came out after your CD version.

If you need to take this route, you might want to download the Microsoft Blaster patch for XP click here and put the.exe file on a CD or floppy, apply it to the repaired XP first before you go on the internet.

Billyfish 08:34 05 Mar 04

thanks to all who helped ,system now ok again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…