XP registry tips

sunny staines 17:11 29 May 06

From time to time various registry tips show up in the forum. Just thought it would be handy if the readers that have any got registry tips could add them to the thread so there is a collection all in one thread

ade.h 17:28 29 May 06

click here and see Solution 2. I have to do this reg edit quite frequently on two different PCs, so I count that as really useful. (No idea why it happens).

VoG II 17:32 29 May 06

There are loads click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 29 May 06

When accessing Device Manager there may be hidden devices that are not displayed. This tweak forces all devices to be displayed.

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES
Modify/Create the Value Name [DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES] according to the Value Data listed below.
Value Data: [1 = Show Devices / 0 = Hide Devices]

Exit Registry and Reboot

sunny staines 18:06 29 May 06

Vog
That is certainly a good web site

Eric half-a-bee 19:42 29 May 06

Auto kill tasks on shutdown
-----------------------------------
To allow Windows XP to close non-responsive applications automatically upon shutdown:

REGEDIT and navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop'
Highlight the value 'AutoEndTasks.' Change the value to '1

Increasing XP shutdown speed - Reducing wait times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The first part of this tweak deals with setting the amount of time Windows will take to kill open applications on shutdown.

REGEDIT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' Set value to '1000' (from 20000).
Highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value Set it to '1000'

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' value. Set it to '1000' (the default should be 20000).
Highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value. Set it to '1000' also.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ControlHighlight the value 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout' Change this value to '1000.'

Automatically Empty the TEMP folder
------------------------------------------------
You can safely remove anything in C:\Windows\Temp that was created before the current Windows session. So the
best time to have it automatically emptied is during boot-up. Here's how to do that:

Select Start, Run, type the command "sysedit" and press Enter to launch the System Configuration Editor. Once
there, go to the autoexec.bat window. That batch file may contain text, or it may be blank. Either way, add
these two lines:

deltree /y c:\windows\temp
md c:\windows\temp

Save the file and exit the program. From now on, you'll get an empty temp folder every time you boot.

Prevent AVI files from flooding the System
-------------------------------------------------------
Remove the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32"

Reduce wait time after XP boots
------------------------------------------
A common performance problem with Windows XP is 'start lag,' in which the operating system boots up normally,
the desktop is visible and usable, but programs will not start, and selecting icons and using the start menu
are extremely slow. This can take anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes to clear up, and can make
using the operating system extremely frustrating, especially if you are in a hurry after the reboot.
This delay is generally caused by Windows XP's networking services looking for other computers and advertising
their functions over the computer's network connections. If this problem is driving you nuts, there is a way
to reduce or eliminate the delay, though if you are attached to a home network, it will reduce your computer's
functionality on that network:

If your computer is not attached to a home network:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage.' Expand 'services and applications' and select 'services' to
open the services window. Highlight the 'workstation' service, right click and select 'properties.' Set the
'startup type' dropdown box to 'disabled.' Click 'ok.' Note that you will need to re-enable the workstation
service should you wish to network your PC in the future.

If your computer is part of a home network:
Go to 'start\control panel\network and internet connections\network connections.'
Right click your current network connection (should be 'local area connection' unless you have more than one
network adaptor) and select 'properties.' Uncheck the 'File and Print Sharing' box and press 'ok.' Note that
this will disable your computer's ability to share files and printers over the network, though it should not
affect your ability to access such resources on another system.

docj 22:23 29 May 06

This is good
click here

mattyc_92 10:10 30 May 06

Another site click here

Slim Shady 15:40 30 May 06

I haven't had an in-depth look but it just did help me out with some niggling problem I'd been having with my work PC.

sunny staines 20:39 01 Jun 06

thanks for the imput,I have bookmarked the webs mentioned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…