menorcarob2 15:33 02 Jan 03
  menorcarob2 15:33 02 Jan 03

why do i get the error message THE PRODUCT KEY USED TO INSTALL WINDOWS IS INVALID when i try to update my XP PRO installation

Mac & Beth 15:34 02 Jan 03

Update to SP-1 do you mean?

Is it a legal copy?

Some of the pirate product keys have been blocked by the SP-1 update so you can't update.

VoG™ 15:35 02 Jan 03
  spikeychris 15:36 02 Jan 03

Are the first 3 letters FCK?

Taran 15:39 02 Jan 03

You get this message when you installed Windows using a known leaked key. A lot of copies of XP were doing the rounds a while ago using leaked corporate multiuser keys which don't require the product to be activated.

Microsoft rightly decided enough was enough, so if you want to use illegal software they've made it impossible for you to update it using any of their security patches. This leaves users of illegal software 2 choices;

1. Buy an original copy of Windows

2. Carry on using the illegal copy and hope nobody exploits the security loopholes in it to hack your system and that you don't get caught breaking the law

If you have a bought version of Windows XP, you need to contact Microsoft and ask them for a new code (assuming you have the necessary proof of purchase).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…