XP recovery discs

bergerz 17:56 10 Mar 03

I have been given some XP recovery discs. They are in a sealed case and have not been used. The person who gave them to me has removed XP from the machine it was on and replaced it with Windows 98! The recovery discs are entitled for a specific manufacturer. The question is can I use these discs to put XP on a new format hard drive?

tran1 18:01 10 Mar 03

No, Becuase I think the recovery disks will only work with the original hard drive ie, the one the recovery disks were shipped with. The recovery disks looks for specific hidden data that was put on the original drive and if you try to use the disks on a different drive, they simply won't work.

spikeychris 18:02 10 Mar 03

Sorry....nope

Chris

bergerz 18:12 10 Mar 03

Thanks to both of you. What happens if your hard drive dies though, how can it look for the hidden data? Also what happens if you decide to upgrade your hard drive? Am I now raising issues previously dealt? Yes I am clutching at straws, but as they were free and legal, I would like to get some use out of them.

A15 19:02 10 Mar 03

I recently bought a new Medion computer, which came with Windows XP. It states on the box that it is supplied with recovery CD's. Normally I would not contemplate buying recovery CD's but the price was good. A couple of weeks ago I was looking through these CD's & noticed that my supposed recovery CD is actually the full OS. To say that I was pleased is an understatement. However it clearly states on the CD "this is a product recovery CD"!

Maybe this is a mistake, but it's nice to win one for a change! Maybe you will have the same luck, it's worth checking.

cracker23 19:08 10 Mar 03

I tried it once(with a friends recovery disc when having major problems)and it completely wiped the HDD,so be careful

spikeychris 19:11 10 Mar 03

If your disk physically dies, ie: bucket loads of bad clusters etc, then the recovery disk would even find it tough going. With a reload/recovery disk there will be a hidden partition (or not hidden) that will allow a reload.

The files are only good for the O/S installed at the factory.

Put the straws down and give up ;o)

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…