xp recovery disc

n4165si 16:21 25 Feb 08

can i repair some of the features i have lost by running the recovery disc that came with this computer. when putting the disc in it states Install xp their does not seem to be an entry to repair, only an Upgrade which is recommended .does this mean that windows will over Write my existing xp installation without doing any damage

Clapton is God 16:28 25 Feb 08

Here's how to run a check on your system files:
· Click Start; Run.
· In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
· At the prompt, type sfc.exe /scannow
· Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

n4165si 16:54 25 Feb 08

Clapton is God
when scannow aked for my disc to be inserted ,i put in the recovery disc ,but it asked on the panel for Windows xp proffessional 2 cd pack. scannow then seemed to hang and i had to press reset to reboot. I do not have the original xp home discs only a rcovery disc as supplied and when i put this in it stated Windows File Protection { Not Responding}

Pamy 17:04 25 Feb 08

Usually, a supplied recovery disk will recover your computer to the state it was when you bought it. All data that you have installed since then is lost.

Only a full XP disk will be able to carry out a repair without loss.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 25 Feb 08

click here

If you have a pre installed system on our machine then you should have a Folder i386.
Probably
C:\i386 or
C:\windows\i386
you will need to tell your computer you have the files on your PC.

To do this in the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one you want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All you need to do is change it to:

C:\
(if c:\i386) or

C:\windows
(if c:\windows\i386)

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 25 Feb 08

click here

If you have a pre installed system on our machine then you should have a Folder i386.
Probably
C:\i386 or
C:\windows\i386
you will need to tell your computer you have the files on your PC.

To do this in the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one you want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All you need to do is change it to:

C:\
(if c:\i386) or

C:\windows
(if c:\windows\i386)

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

woodchip 20:56 25 Feb 08

What features missing

n4165si 12:57 26 Feb 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thank you for that information , i will have a go

woodchip
the feature that is now missing ,is the ability to open any link sent to me via Outlook Express, if i have get an e mail say from Pc advisor i cannot open the links that are in the email,i believe the file path has been broken but that is only an assumption on my part

Pamy
thank tou for clearing up this point

n4165si 13:40 26 Feb 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\
when i get down to current version and click on it ,it only brings up explorer,i do not see the heading setup. please advise

bjh 13:58 26 Feb 08

Possible and very simple answer...
Open Internet Explorer. ... Tools ... Options from the menu bar.

Click on the Programs tab, and check that Internet Explorer is the dfault program (button 1/2 way down.

n4165si 13:58 26 Feb 08

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Okay i have found it, it states D:\ when i right click it it brings up a panel which states
Modify
Modify Binary Data
Delete
Rename

as i am not to sure about altering things in the registry ,which should i click on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…