XP Recovery

jconline 18:57 27 Dec 04

My PC won't boot because 'PCI.Sys' is missing or corrupt in the Windows\system32\drivers folder.
It suggests booting from the XP (Pro) Cd and pressing 'R' to restore files etc. However when I try this all I get is an 'Access Denied' message. How do I repair or copy this file (I have it on a Floppy from another PC)?

Rayuk 19:38 27 Dec 04

Have you tried putting your copy into Windows\System32\drivers[folder]

Rayuk 19:41 27 Dec 04

Or you could use this to do a system recovery
click here

eego 20:53 27 Dec 04

You haven't actually said how far your system goes in the start-up before this error message appears. Have you tried interrupting the start-up by pressing F8 and entering the "Advanced Start-up Options". From there chose "Safe Mode" and when your system starts use "System restore" to select your last known good "Restore Point".

jconline 07:31 28 Dec 04

Cannot copy any files into the 'Windows\system32\drivers' folder (Access denied message).
When booting up I canot get into safe mode at all and have tried the last known good configuration. Only message on the screen is that the PCI.sys file is missing or corrupt. Press 'R' when booting from the XP Cd to repair same.

Stuartli 10:15 28 Dec 04

Are you the Administrator?

jconline 12:00 28 Dec 04

Yes I'm the Administrator but not getting the option to put in the Admin password anywhere.

cellulite engineer 16:57 28 Dec 04

Hi RayUK

Many thanks i have just recovered my PC from a serious crash using your information.
Problems started after updates loaded before xmas.

It does help to search the forums prior to posting

jconline 19:36 29 Dec 04

Anybody else got any Ideas? I'm getting desperate.
Glad the responses so far have helped the previous posting

mattyc_92 19:39 29 Dec 04

Try booting from your win xp installation disk and "install windows over the current one".... You WONT lose ANY personal files on the system

Rayuk 19:51 29 Dec 04

And have you tried Barte PE yourself?? or didnt it work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…