//some 3rd party need geo

XP - Recording to MP3 in Media Player 9

I have just upgraded from Media Player 8 to 9 and find that I can no longer record from Audio CD's to MP3 format.

I used to be able to do this thanks to some help from a posting from flecc. He suggested changing some registry entries to make this possible. I have just checked and the changes are still in place.

When I try to do a copy an error box pops up saying that a compatible MP3 encoder is not installed. I am then offered the change to BUY one from Microsoft !!! Surely I don't need to do that, do I.

Can anybody offer any help?

Thanks in advance.

Lú-tzé 08:22 27 Jan 03

It seems to be that way from what I have read...

Maybe one day an alternative plug in will be developed by a third party. In the meantime, it seems we will have to use other encoding methods.

Lú-tzé 08:24 27 Jan 03

click here for a recent posting of convertors.

Thanks.

The other way would be for me to copy the files as .wma and then convert them to .mp3.

Does anybody know of a good freeware converter that will do this?

I edit my own videos and the Visual Studio software that I use won't touch .wma files. The format that works best is .mp3

JoeC 09:28 27 Jan 03

click here
Download the fichier ra-codec12.zip (883 kb) and double click setuplc3.exe to get MP3 capablities in WMP

I'll give this a go tonight. Thanks.

€dstow 11:15 27 Jan 03

If you have a Creative sound system with Creative PlayCenter you can convert WAV to MP3 or WMA with that, dead easy!

€d

Just to let you know that downloading and applying the ra-codec12.zip file, and then recreating the MP3Encoding registry entries worked. I can now record straight from Audio CD to MP3 using Media Player 9.

Thanks.

Pumas 19:05 27 Jan 03

And what are these registry entries?

I want to use this too.

JoeC 19:43 27 Jan 03

Just do as I stated in my earlier entry. The setup alters your registry for you. Open up WMP and you will see that you are able to record MP3's. : }

Click Start, Run, type: regedit and press Enter. Now click registry, Export, select all and save a copy of the registry to the desktop. Still in the editor, use the + signs next to the folders to navigate to the following key:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\MP3Encoding

If any of these don't exist (quite likely for Settings and MP3Encoding) create them as new keys.

Under the MP3Encoding key you need to create some settings values, so highlight the MP3Encoding folder, and in the righthand pane you'll see only a default item. Right click the pane and select New, Dword, then rename the new icon that appears to LowRate exactly as shown. Now double-click LowRate and in it's edit box enter the value 0000dac0 exactly as shown and click OK.

You need to repeat this 3 more times, renaming and giving values for each, so that you end up with the following 4 icons and values in the right-hand pane.

LowRate..........0000dac0

MediumRate.......0001f400

MediumHighRate...00027100

HighRate.........0002ee00

Now close the registry and go straight to Media Player 9. Click Tools, Options, Copy Music tab, and you'll now find that mp3 has been added to the Format: drop-down menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…