XP recognising DVD as CD

Doc2 08:19 13 May 09

What is going on? Two of my XP machines (patched up to date) (one at home, one at work) have started recognising blank DVD+R and DVD-R as CDs - in Windows explorer/My Computer DVD-RW drive (E:) is listed, changes to CD Drive (E:) on insertion of blank DVD media. Doesn't seem to be a problem with +RW -RW or RAM. I've Googled and checked out MS support, and the problem seems well recognised, but I've been unable to find a) a reason, or b) a reliable fix. Tried different brands of media etc - all the usual common sense stuff, to no avail. Anyone any clues? Thanks.

eedcam 08:40 13 May 09

Mines always shows as cd drive without putting a dvd in just windows incompetence and its not a problem if you use proper software and or burners which is practically anything that is not to do with M/soft.They will all show the proper drive
Even if you click on properties for the Said CD drive it shows the proper drive under hardware

Stuartli 15:57 13 May 09

XP reveals both my DVD-RW and DVD-ROM drives correctly in My Computer, but whether they are CD or DVD such devices are recognised as optical drives and use the same basic Windows driver.

The function of RW drives is controlled by burning software such as Nero.

eedcam 19:19 13 May 09

Stuart as I said mines shows as cd but functions perfectly well with +/- dvd/s I never use windows for burning

Stuartli 19:29 13 May 09

Try checking the drives' leads connections are firm - might be a misreading of their make and model.

I don't use Windows (XP Pro) for burning either...:-)

Fortunately, as you will be aware, DVD optical drives cater for both CDs and DVDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…