xp rebooting continually!! Help

DJ Si 23:42 05 Jan 04

Hi, my computer runs windows xp and has suddenly started to reboot constantly. When I swithch on, I get a windows logo, not the xp screen, then the system reboots. This happens continually. I've tried goiong in under dos. It will let me access the a and cd rom drives, but not the c drive. I would like to avoid reformatting if poss. Anyone any ideas?

DJ Si 14:41 06 Jan 04

Jester2K 14:44 06 Jan 04

Homer47 15:06 06 Jan 04

Not sure if this is of help but had same problem on my daughters pc recently. It turned out to be a Trojan horse virus ...reboot.exe.

Ended up reformatting / reinstalling xp. Others more expert may advise a better option.

Jester2K 15:24 06 Jan 04

I would have booted into Safe Mode and then deleted the file and start up entry....

Mysticnas 16:09 06 Jan 04

fixed it?

I had a similar problem when i plugged my old webcam in. Xp kept rebooting just as yours did, until i unplugged the USB webcam.

I've since got a new webcam and it seems to be fine.

Homer47 08:14 07 Jan 04

In my case unfortunately safe mode was not accessable, the reboot process was a continual cycle, couldn't even get into bios.

GOWRY 11:45 07 Jan 04

installed a ASDL modem from DABS
since then XP keeps rebooting
and cannot uninstall
any help please

Big Elf 11:49 07 Jan 04

It's better to create your own thread. Some people may see this ticked as resolved and not read it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…