xp re-install using different disc

armacomroll 17:53 08 Nov 09

I dont have the original xp disc to re-install windows but have the serial number and can borrow a disc from a friend. I understand that I can use it to reinstall on my pc using my serial number. However this is a copy of xp sp3 and mine is xp with no included service pack. Will I be able to do a re-install with it.

rdave13 18:01 08 Nov 09

Yes so long as it's XP home or XP Pro or any version that's the same as installed originally. You'll have to format and do a clean install. Before you do though I'd advise to use double driver to copy your machine's drivers. Ignore Windows drivers in that program as they will be installed anyway. click here

Remember to backup documents, music, browser favourites and any emails saved on your PC, and anything else you can think of.

GaT7 18:04 08 Nov 09

Yes, as long as the version is the same (Home for Home, Pro for Pro, etc) & the type of disc is the same (OEM for OEM, & Retail for Retail) it will be fine.

Having the service pack is beneficial as this means you won't have to download & install it manually. However, there are 80-90 updates since SP3 was released, & these will need installing via Windows update click here. G

rdave13 18:11 08 Nov 09

I have used a full retail copy of XP to install and used an OEM key successfully.

I am Spartacus 18:15 08 Nov 09

You can't mix an Education nor a 'Corporate' disk either. They have something in the install process that locks it to that type.

GaT7 18:19 08 Nov 09

"I have used a full retail copy of XP to install and used an OEM key successfully."

I have had a problem with retail/OEM disks & keys, hence my post.

Or, it might have been the other way around - OEM disk & retail key. G

rdave13 18:33 08 Nov 09

Strange. Copied a full retail XP SP3 disc and reformatted and installed XP on my Zoostorm.
Home version and activated OK.

armacomroll 09:36 09 Nov 09

On checking I have a xp home installed with serial key and want to use xp pro OEM disc to re-install.

oldbeefer2 10:49 09 Nov 09

As stated above, that will NOT work - has to be the same version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…