XP re-install killed my wireless

Throbber 22:19 22 Apr 09

I have just re-installed XP Pro on my laptop. The wireless connection no longer appears, and the wireless indicator light no longer lights up. It worked fine after a previous re-install. Any idea where it might have gone or how to get it back? I used to connect wirelessly through a modem router, but can't now. Any help would be much appreciated.

OTT_Buzzard 22:22 22 Apr 09

Have you checked Device Manager for missing drivers?

dan11 22:22 22 Apr 09

Have you loaded the drivers for it?

Have checked to see if it is enabled in control panel / network connections?

Throbber 23:11 22 Apr 09

Thanks, Guys. It looks as though the drivers are missing, but I don't have a disc and can't access the internet to load them. It doesn't appear in network connections. Is there a way of retrieving it?

woodchip 23:24 22 Apr 09

It most likely is a Intel WiFi click here Try download then in Device Manager click on update drivers, point it to the un-zipped file. if it does not like the drivers it will say so

Throbber 08:42 23 Apr 09

Thanks, Woodchip, but no joy with this.

In Device Manager the following appear as without drivers - is one of these the WiFi I need?

Ethernet controller
Mulitmedia Audio Controller
Network Controller
PCI Modem
SM Bus Controller
Unknown Device
Video Controller [VGA compatible}

tullie 09:09 23 Apr 09

Have you connected wired first to setup your wireless connection?

splatter 09:39 23 Apr 09

the first item on the list without drivers is he Ethernet Controller...so I imagine this isn't possible!

Throbber, it would probably be best for you to make a note of the make/model of your laptop and go use somebody else's computer. A friend/relative/library etc...

Goto the manufacture's website and there will be all the drivers available for you laptop. They will also be the latest versions so any previous bugs or un-stable-ness (is that a word?) will be sorted.

I'm sure if you tell us what laptop it is somebody will be good enough to post a link to the download page for you :)

Stuartli 10:09 23 Apr 09

>>but I don't have a disc and can't access the internet to load them>>

So how are you posting and adding to this thread?

woodchip 11:10 23 Apr 09

network controller is the same controller as wifi

splatter 14:05 23 Apr 09

not necessarily...when i have done a fresh install I get 'Ethernet Controller' AND 'Wireless USB Adapter' listed :P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…