XP re-install killed my wireless

Throbber 22:19 22 Apr 09

I have just re-installed XP Pro on my laptop. The wireless connection no longer appears, and the wireless indicator light no longer lights up. It worked fine after a previous re-install. Any idea where it might have gone or how to get it back? I used to connect wirelessly through a modem router, but can't now. Any help would be much appreciated.

OTT_Buzzard 22:22 22 Apr 09

Have you checked Device Manager for missing drivers?

dan11 22:22 22 Apr 09

Have you loaded the drivers for it?

Have checked to see if it is enabled in control panel / network connections?

Throbber 23:11 22 Apr 09

Thanks, Guys. It looks as though the drivers are missing, but I don't have a disc and can't access the internet to load them. It doesn't appear in network connections. Is there a way of retrieving it?

woodchip 23:24 22 Apr 09

It most likely is a Intel WiFi click here Try download then in Device Manager click on update drivers, point it to the un-zipped file. if it does not like the drivers it will say so

Throbber 08:42 23 Apr 09

Thanks, Woodchip, but no joy with this.

In Device Manager the following appear as without drivers - is one of these the WiFi I need?

Ethernet controller
Mulitmedia Audio Controller
Network Controller
PCI Modem
SM Bus Controller
Unknown Device
Video Controller [VGA compatible}

tullie 09:09 23 Apr 09

Have you connected wired first to setup your wireless connection?

splatter 09:39 23 Apr 09

the first item on the list without drivers is he Ethernet Controller...so I imagine this isn't possible!

Throbber, it would probably be best for you to make a note of the make/model of your laptop and go use somebody else's computer. A friend/relative/library etc...

Goto the manufacture's website and there will be all the drivers available for you laptop. They will also be the latest versions so any previous bugs or un-stable-ness (is that a word?) will be sorted.

I'm sure if you tell us what laptop it is somebody will be good enough to post a link to the download page for you :)

Stuartli 10:09 23 Apr 09

>>but I don't have a disc and can't access the internet to load them>>

So how are you posting and adding to this thread?

woodchip 11:10 23 Apr 09

network controller is the same controller as wifi

splatter 14:05 23 Apr 09

not necessarily...when i have done a fresh install I get 'Ethernet Controller' AND 'Wireless USB Adapter' listed :P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5