Xp re-install key problem

Tanzy_uk 08:36 16 Aug 06

Hi all, I'm about to carry out a major upgrade of my system, I have copied my bootable hard drive to a partition on a larger HD Then tried to do an install over the top, I did this to keep original settings for email / anti virus software ect. I used norton Goast for this. all went ok untill Xp started up, and told me that my key was invalid, This is the key for the comuter I am using at the mo, which is using a ligit copy that I bought a few years ago. I didnt try to register as I was not connected to the internet, also this was a dry run so I haven't changed any major components other than the HD, I intend on getting another copy of windows in the next few months so that I can run my old comuter parts as a junk computer, but I can't afford to get a copy at the mo.

recap 10:47 16 Aug 06

If I am reading you right Tanzy_uk, are you trying to install two XP Operating Systems on one machine?

If this is correct then I am affraid this is not possible to my knowledge.

FelixTCat 11:43 16 Aug 06

Tanzy,

I'm not too clear just what you did. Did you Ghost your exiting XP installation to he new hard drive, then do a new installation ox XP onto the existing hard drive?

Which installation of XP is it that wouldn't start; the Ghosted one on the new hard disk or the new installation on the old hard disk?

Regards,

Felix

FelixTCat 11:44 16 Aug 06

recap,

You can make as many XP installations as you like provided they are on different partitions or disks.

Regards,

Felix

Tanzy_uk 08:07 17 Aug 06

FelixTCat,

I Ghoasted if that is a word? my old XP onto new hard drive, tried to do a system repair and came up with the key problem, i think I understood what was wrong, XP probably recognised that it had been ghoasted and therefore that the key was previously used, I have since carried out a complete reinstall on the new hard drive, which took a few attempts but all is working well, unfortunatly I lost all my email / AV setting ect, I still have them on my old HD which will boot up on a junk machine, got a new set of AV software for 30 quid which was due for renewal in Oct anyway. THanks for your help

tanz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac