XP Re-install

Ollieole 10:47 12 Nov 07

I have decided to do a complete re-install of XP on one of my machines as it has become a bit bloated and slow. However, can I use a retail XP SP2 disc with an OEM product key

I have 2 windows XP discs and product keys for my two PCs - an OEM SP1 and a Retail SP2. It is the OEM machine I am re-installing and just looking to save a bit of time installing all in one go than having to go onto the Windows update site

Cheers

BurrWalnut 10:54 12 Nov 07

I would think so, give it a try.

Karakorum 11:04 12 Nov 07

If you reinstall XP you're going to have to use Windows update anyway aren't you - or am I missing something? The only way you avoid that is by using something like Acronis True Image to make copies of your updated System as you go along - or not?

BurrWalnut 19:22 12 Nov 07

Ollieole, obviously, cannot use Acronis before he reinstalls XP, can he?

He trying to cut down on downloading by installing SP2 rather than SP1. Even so there are about 70 post-SP2 updates to install.

Karakorum 20:53 12 Nov 07

My fault, I just saw the Retail and OEM references but didn't notice the different SP references.

Zion_Lion 02:51 13 Nov 07

Hi mate... if you use your retail disc on your OEM machine you will have to change your Product key and the Product ID number which is normally a number comprising of four blocks of numbers, usually below the product key.
To change the Product key you will need to download a windows key changer and change the key over to your OEM one after the installation.
Changing the Product ID evolves a manual change to the Registry. To do this, navigate to start/run and type regedit and press enter.
In the file browser on the left expand (click on the +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE navigate to SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion.
When you click on the CurrentVersion file or (key), values will appear in the right hand window. Look for the value called Product ID; right click on the file to change the number. As long as you’re the owner of both licenses you will be fine.
Also remember that editing the registry can really mess up your machine if you don’t know what your doing, so if you’re not sure about my instructions, don’t mess!

regards ZL

Ollieole 13:54 15 Nov 07

Thanks for the replies. Not had a chance to try it out yet as the new HDD I was putting in at the same time turned out to be faulty ! - nasty clicking noice as it was running.

stylehurst 14:06 15 Nov 07

Ollieole
You could use Acronis TrueImage if you made an image immediately after re-installing XP & caarying out all the Windows updates & also re-installing your other programs. This way you have a mean version of your system before it has become bloated.
However do bear in mind that you will still need to update Windows for all the patches which have happened since you made the image.
I have used the above approach & find it is quicker than doing a complete re-install from scratch.

Stuartli 14:27 15 Nov 07

You use to be able to obtain all WindowsUpdates en bloc from the AutoPatcher website, but apparently Microsoft has put a stop to the service (see the piece entitled Sad Day):

click here

taffyal 22:38 17 Jan 08

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced