XP re-activation

Rayspan 08:22 25 Jul 08

After a RAM defect, my recovery disc would not function. System would not boot. With defective RAM replaced, and still not booting, I replaced the Hard drive -incredibly cheap now - and did a clean re-install using an OEM Windows disk purchased for another machine. All went well, & the licence code for this machine was accepted.
It does demand reactivation, which is 'not available' on-line. Am I likely to have a problem, since this machine was originally a 'volume manufacture' with only a 'recovery' disk?

Diodorus Siculus 08:29 25 Jul 08

Shouldn't be a problem; call MS and use the automated service via phone.

xania 08:42 25 Jul 08

You will need to quote the licence number from the label on you PC and not the one from the OEM.

Rayspan 18:18 25 Jul 08

Thanks for that folks - I'll let you know how it goes. It had crossed my mind . . . MS wants to sell Vista . . . nah, they wouldn't do that . . . would they?

tullie 18:31 25 Jul 08

No

Rayspan 20:42 25 Jul 08

Success! Auto keypad entry failed, so I spoke to a very nice, extremely patient lady. After several repeats (a bit deaf - me, that is) she waited as I typed the groups in and Bingo!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…