XP questions

geoff47 00:11 16 Mar 07

I have only recently changed my OS to XP, on a brand new PC and have two main questions.
Firstly the desk top,
I prefer my desk top icons to remain where I put them.As far as I can see I have ticked the right boxes for this to happen but they always revert to lining up along the left hand side on boot up, what am I doing wrong ?
Secondly,
I have had NetObjects 8 for some time on win98, when inserting images into a page, you click on the icon that opens the folder containing the image, a click on the image selects it, you then have to confirm by clicking "Open" the image is then inserted on the page.
But since installing it on XP, it only needs to be selected to open straight away, appearing on the page without any further action.
Are these two events connected to XP ?

MAJ 01:09 16 Mar 07

1. right-click on the Desktop, choose, Arrange Icons By > Align to Grid. Untick, Arrange Icons By > Auto Arrange.

2. You should still have to click "Open" before the image is inserted, not sure why your images are by-passing that step.

geoff47 10:34 16 Mar 07

I have ticked on Align to grid and unticked Auto Arrange and it still happens.

NetObjects was updated first time I opened it in XP.
And the first time the image opened directly nearly made me fall off my chair.

I was worried these two irritations were related somehow

Simsy 10:57 16 Mar 07

BOTH "Align to grid" and "Auto Arrange" UNticked.

Regards,

Simsy

geoff47 12:05 16 Mar 07

I have ticked all, unticked all, ticked each variation, plus ticked Lock Web Items on desktop.
But every time I reboot it reverts back.

It is an irritation rather than a major problem, I am concerned it may be a symptom of something worse

esbe 13:17 16 Mar 07

I have just 'Show Desktop Icons' & 'Align to grid' ticked (XP Home).

This worked for me.

click here

Go to Line 188 & the link in the right column 'Add save & restore desktop layout to menu'

It will allow to save /restore your icon layout (via your Right click context menu), very handy as my icons used to be all over the place after exiting safe mode.

hope this helps.

chers.

Arthur Scrimshaw 14:24 16 Mar 07

you may find this website useful :

click here

geoff47 15:32 16 Mar 07

Thanks esbe and Arthur.
They still need to be restored after reboot....because they all line up as before, until you restore them.....but I am amazed some people know how to solve this sort of thing.

esbe 17:17 16 Mar 07

Try unticking 'Lock web items' and only have 'Show desktop icons' ticked.

Then refresh / F5, save your layout,restart.

Not sure, but I think that the icons being on the left may be Windows default position.

You're in the right place to get it sorted.

Good Luck.

bruno 18:14 16 Mar 07

I have just tried to reproduce what you want and it worked for me.I right clicked the icons and clicked on move to here and then rebooted and they all stayed in their new positions.I have "Align to grid" ticked and this must be the default selection as it is not something I have changed.

bruno 18:17 16 Mar 07

I have just tried to reproduce what you want and it worked for me.I right clicked the icons and clicked on move to here and then rebooted and they all stayed in their new positions.I have "Align to grid" ticked and this must be the default selection as it is not something I have changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos