XP queries

Fateful Shadow 14:03 11 May 03

Firstly, thankyou to everyone who posted on my opinion poll for ME. I have convinced the person I've been wanting to convince...my dad!
However, we are thinking of getting XP, and doing a quick upgrade, buut if anything goes wrong, on my head be it, no more using the computer, etc etc.
So, for the sake of the computers health and mine, I need a few more questions answering, and BTW I've looked on the Microsoft website, but no luck!!!

1. Do i keep my peripherals plugged in when I do a quick upgrade?
2. What conflicts am I likely to meet?
3. Should I download new drivers (if any!) before or after installation, or even during?
4. Is it easy to go back to my previous OS (WinME) if anything goes wrong?

In short, IS IT REALLY WORTH IT?

jazzypop 14:08 11 May 03

It is, if you have a fairly modern system.

Go to click here and use the compatability advisor first - this will tell you if you need to have upgraded hardware or software.

As a general rule, it is better to load an OS with a minimum of peripherals attached. Once everything is loaded and working, then plug in the peripherals, one at a time.

XP allows you to keep your current OS intact, so that you can roll back to it if you really want to. I doubt that you will.

powerless 14:14 11 May 03

click here

Scroll to the bottom and download "Download the Upgrade Advisor" This will scan your PC and report any problems (if any).

Conflicts should be brought up in the upgrade advisor (again if any)

click here this is a quick test - but do not rely upon it too much.

It's best not to upgrade. It's best to do a clean intsall. This will cause less headache many people report problems with upgrading. Do a clean install...

Sound cards do need drivers.

If you upgrade to XP you can the unintsall XP (i think). If you clean install XP you would have to reinstall ME.

Software and hardware - Should be brought up in the upgrade advisor if it will cause prorblem. Worse case you'll have to buy software for XP.

Hardware hopefully there will be an XP driver or if not you may have to buy a new printer etc.

Is is it worth it? If your happy with what you have got, then why change?

XP is the best Windows OS outhere sooo...

hp2o 14:35 11 May 03

try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…