XP Pro...keeps freezing up

Anniemol 19:04 26 Oct 04

I've had a problem with a new PC on and off for about 5 months.....basically the curser and screen freeze....if left it eventually starts up again. A couple of friends have suggested different things...one to install SpyBot which I've done, another check for viruses which obviously I had done anyway and another that I have too many programs that 'start up' and run in the background. I really don't know how to go about the later....I'd really appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 26 Oct 04

Startup Managers:-
WinPatrol click here

bremner 19:32 26 Oct 04

Have you thought about overheating - check the graphics card is getting good cooling, that all your fans are not fluffed up, that the machine generally gets a good flow of air.

Anniemol 19:33 26 Oct 04

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\....I guess if I download and install the free software and then run it, it should find any problems? I already have SpyBot installed will this interfere with it at all?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 26 Oct 04

No it wont interfer. It will show you what runs at startup plus gives you the option to stop them and prevent running at next startup.

You need very little at start up.

Firewall, Antivirus, as minimum

Anniemol 19:42 26 Oct 04

Thanks....you're a star....I'm downloading software now and will let you know how I get on..

Anniemol 20:43 26 Oct 04

Ok...have installed the software and I have disabled everything other than the essentials.....when I first re-booted it 'hung' for a few moments but now it's working ok....
I do have one problem though...Norton AntiVirus won't allow me to switch auto-protect on or email scanning....I made sure I didn't do anything to these programs in start up but it has gone from my system tray.....I must have done something wrong!

Anniemol 21:28 26 Oct 04

well...sorted the Anti-Virus. So far so good....I won't say the problems completely resolved until I use my PC for a couple of days....thanks to Fruit Bat for your help!!!

stalion 21:31 26 Oct 04

be sure to clean your registry from time to time to many dead files can cause crashes
click here

Anniemol 09:15 29 Oct 04

OK....bit of an update! Everything seemed much better and then you guessed it the damn thing hung again! It seems to do this more often when it has been 'inactive' for a short time. Anyway I rang the guy who I had it off and he basically said that it is more likely to be XP Pro...he suggested that I re-format my harddrive and re-install XP Pro.....Basically I will do this as a last resort as I use my PC for my small business and it would take some time to load everything back on....
He suggested that the registry had become corrupt....is there anyway that I can correct this problem without formatting my hard drive and starting all over again?

bremner 13:17 30 Oct 04

You have not commented on my suggestion regarding overheating - have you given this any consideration?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…