xp programs and windows 7

cordeiro 19:02 07 Mar 11

I may be forced to buy a new windows7 pc. will I be able to install word97 and other 97 vintage
programs and get it working ? Also which choice should I make for either 32 bit or 64 bit

mgmcc 19:58 07 Mar 11

According to Microsoft's "Windows 7 Compatibility Center", Office 97 isn't compatible with 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows 7. click here

An alternative is to use one of the free Office suites - Open Office click here or LibreOffice click here

In general, the 64-bit version of Windows 7 will run 32-bit programs, but you will need 64-bit drivers for peripherals such as Printers, Scanners etc.

canarieslover 20:22 07 Mar 11

If you really do need to run those old programs there is a way of running them on a 'virtual PC' that you can access from within Windows. There are a couple of free programs that enable virtual PC's, VMware - click here and Virtualbox - click here
You can then load your old OS into the virtual PC and use it exactly as if it was a Win 95 PC. One click and you are back to your Win 7 PC. With the size of hard drives fitted to many PC's nowadays you can run multi virtual PC's and use them to load any OS that you like, ie, Linux. I currently run run three different virtual PC's on my Win 7 PC. The best thing is that you don't have to have a boot manager so if you no longer need a particular virtual pc you just have to delete it.

robin_x 20:52 07 Mar 11

I suppose strictly MS are correct that it is not compatible (in the same way they don not have bugs just 'known issues'. However, old Office Suites do work, or can be made working.

I have Office 2000 working after a couple of evenings Googling a few error messages.

In summary, I do not run Word or Excel in XP SP3 Compatibility mode nor do I run As Administrator.
Excel/Tools/Options/General is set to Ignore Other Applications.

Outlook required a couple of wab.dlls to be found and downloaded from somewhere and stuck in system32 for the address book to work.
But I only ever managed to get one IMAP account working at a time before I gave up and switched to Thunderbird.
(even that may just have been me screwing up IMAP somehow)

My Access I have left in Compatibility mode and I think it is OK.
I never use Powerpoint but have sat through many a stultifying presentation.

While I did succeed many 'solutions' are contradictory and work for some but not others and sometimes the opposite to a solution seems needed.

Example here for Office 97.
Just Google "Office 97 windows 7" + any error message you get.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017