XP Program Installation Help Required

Sibbo 17:40 07 Aug 05

I'm in the process of installing games etc onto my 7 year old sons new PC and I've come across a problem. For obvious reasons I'm not letting him have an admin account, and although most of his games have asked if they should be installed for all users, some have not. The ones that have not will only work when I am logged on (admin account), but will not when logged on under his name. This is the first time that I've had to set up a PC for more than one user and I'm stumped. I do recall reading about how to get around this problem when XP was first released, but cannot recall how for the life of me. Maybe it was something to do with the program shortcuts? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Completealias 20:12 07 Aug 05

If you goto C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop and then create any shortcuts to programs in this folder they will appear on all user accounts on the pc on the desktop.

Sibbo 20:47 07 Aug 05

I went into Windows Explorer and copied the desktop icons from my Administrative account into that directory, and the icons did show up on my sons desktop. However, when I double click on the icon on his desktop it still will not start the game. It starts up the installation program instead.

Completealias 00:27 08 Aug 05

TRy this make your son's account an admin account and let it run through the setup for the games. Once this has completed and you've got the games to run in his account set it back to a limited account again and see if they will still run.

Hopefully that should work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…