XP Professional to XP Home- Is it possible?

Teknofreak 21:07 23 Apr 03

My friend built me a computer and he installed Windows XP Professional on it. Later I discovered it was his copy. I was wondering if you could use the upgrade of XP Home to reinstall it?

powerless 21:11 23 Apr 03

eh?

You cannot use the copy at all it's illegal you need to buy a brand new copy of XP.

omega8 21:18 23 Apr 03

What if he bought a copy of the XP Home upgrade. Could he then use that to replace the Professional version?

powerless 21:21 23 Apr 03

You need to qualify for the XP ugrade so if say you have Windows 98 you would qualify.

During the install windows will ask you to pop in your Win 98 CD and then it will know that you have the right to install the upgrade.

jeez 21:35 23 Apr 03

no, you can't use the upgrade, you would need the professional disk. If you use the upgrade with a qualifying product (98, me, 2000, etc) then you will have home edition. It is illegal to use the same copy on two pc's, but that was not your question, perhap's some should try to answer the query not try to brand you a criminal, it may be your friends copy but how do we know he doesn't have a lot of money and own several copies, or bought profesional but decided he preferred home,etc, etc. And I wonder how many pc's are viewing this forum with illegal copies of any type of software sitting on their hard drives?...well just a thought.

poogles_uk 21:42 23 Apr 03

Put on 98, or Me or something - These aren't illegal to share i think, so then upgrade from that/

Djohn 22:23 23 Apr 03

If yours is a copy of his, and works ok, then his is most likely a copy as well! Otherwise yours would not be working!

Best to start fresh with a new O/S. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…