xp professional doesn't always start first time

Millies grandad 13:39 14 Apr 05

My system is an Athlon 1.1, 557mb c drive is IBM 40gb with d a samsung 160gb running on xp home edition.After an aborted sound card update I lost the initialisation files and could only run from task manager. I upgraded to xp professional first onto d drive then back to c drive and have since re-formatted d drive. Usually it will only start from the last known configuration screen. I have dragged my data files from c onto d and question now how best to overcome this annoying feature.Is a reformat of c and a reload of OS the only way? If so what is the procedure please.

Yoda Knight 14:43 14 Apr 05

If by "dragging data files" you mean anything other than your own pictures, documents and movies, you are going to run into problems.

I would advise the re-install just to circumvent problems later on.

The easiest way is to boot off your XP CD (check that your BIOS is set to boot from the cd before the hard drive) and choose the option for a full install. Delete the existing partitions and create new ones (use the default settings).
Then install as usual

Yoda Knight 19:44 14 Apr 05

By email: "I assume this re-install will leave existing programs on c drive? "

No. You would have to re-install the programs.

But as you have already made the change, you may already have done some damage, which is why I would advise a full re-install of Windows and existing programs

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 14 Apr 05

Set BIOS to boot from CD 1st

Boot PC witn XP CD in the drive

Let it run through the boot up until it gives you the three options

Select option 1 install XP and let it go thruogh the install procedure install to c:\windows this will overwrite the sytem file effectively repairing what you have now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…