xp professional do i need an upgrade or reinstall

puma0377 22:23 06 Aug 05

I have xp professional on my pc but i've found out that it has been licensed for business use, the person i bought it from has multiuser license(i think)either way i cant get any updates from microsoft due to this. i need to buy my own copy of xp prefessional so i dont have this problem again. do i need to buy a complete version or should i buy and upgrade version? i would qualify for a student license but i dont know where id find one. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Editor 00:02 07 Aug 05

but use your right to a student licence if you qualify.

Just go into any PC World and you'll find you can get a Student version there.

Klof Ron 12:45 07 Aug 05

You don't need a full version if you have a previous full version of an OS that qualifies for an upgrade, which if I remember correctly is anything from Windows 98 SE on wards. During setup, you will be asked the path to the qualifying upgrade, put it in the CD drive and away you go.

puma0377 00:01 08 Aug 05

Thanks am looking on ebay for new, genuine versions.

Completealias 00:30 08 Aug 05

Alot of the copys sold on ebay are OEM versions check the details in the listing.

OEM versions are still full copys of xp but will only be abled to be installed on one machine and do not have any support from microsoft. If you buy a full retail version you do get support from MS and you can install the copy of xp on other machines providing it is only on one machine at a time.

puma0377 22:37 11 Aug 05

Thanks for the info will be very careful this time!

jessie .x..x.x 23:04 11 Aug 05

I purchased an original xp disc off ebay for £20 and worked perfectly. It was an O.E.M

woodchip 23:07 11 Aug 05

OEM will work on as many as you want, but you would need to not load before about three months, on another computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…