XP Profesional on a laptop

geewis357 22:51 08 Dec 04

Due to myself becoming a mature student with the problem of dyslexia my university will be providing me with a new laptop with XP Profesional installed, My question is it possible to install XP prof to my curent PC wich is at present using XP home and register it legitimataly.
With thanks

Belatucadrus 23:07 08 Dec 04

XP registration is specific to one machine only, so if you want to put XP Pro on your home PC, you'll need to buy another copy.

Jeffers22 23:09 08 Dec 04

If the XP pro on the laptop (as is likely to be the case) OEM and therefore "tied" to the laptop then the answer really is no. If it is a full retail version you are entitled to put it anywhere you like as long as it is only on one PC at a time.

Having said all that, I won't tell if you don't!

Jeffers22 23:11 08 Dec 04

Only if it is OEM version. I think you confuse registration with activation.

TomJerry 23:17 08 Dec 04

firstly, you can install it and no need for activation. I assume that the version university gave to you is the large volume/bulk licence version, then you can install it without the need for activation, but you need to ask university to get a new licence to use it legally, it will cost you about £20 if my info is correct.

secondly, you will not benifit anything by installing XP pro over home. Basically you need to ask yourself what Pro offer you do not have with home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…