xp product key

sean-278262 17:08 11 Sep 04

i have a windows xp cd that i won in a raffle at a computer fair and i have never used it. now i want to i cant find the product key.i am building a pc and i have started to set up windows xp using this cd is there any way i can use my other pc to get the code as i own the cd legitimately and i just cant find where the safe place where i put the key (so safe i cant find it now).can i use my other pc to get the code back or do i have to go out and get another copy of windows.

smokingbeagle² 17:52 11 Sep 04

You can get the key for the copy of XP running on your other machine by using Everest Home edition.
click here
But it may not be legal. Depends on the license you have. If it is OEM, then it is a no no. In any case you'd have problems activating XP on the new machine.

cga 19:11 11 Sep 04

Unfortunately it is the product key that is licensed - The CD is just Copyright.

The CD does not have a specific product key built into it - just the code to check the validity of one that is entered. Activation is an extra double check to this.

ventanas 21:26 11 Sep 04

Previous versions of Windows didn't matter, you could use the key from any disc. With XP you must use the key that came with the disc.

ventanas 21:27 11 Sep 04

Sorry posted without saying that you might try a call to Microsoft customer services. The number is on their web site. They may be sympathetic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…