XP Probs

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 22:21 11 Mar 03

Hi,Right my mate got xp home on his pc and was haveing some trouble with the scanner ,now the scanner came with the pc and was working then it just gave up the ghost so i reinstalled it and it kept telling me the a usb device conneted to the system was not recognised and every time you unplugged it from the usb port the pc would restart from a serious error so i used the recovery cd and reinstalled and activated all ok until i set up the user and i had to acctivate again and on it goes every time it restarts we need to activate so what i do wrong ? i followed the instructions i got on phone and it works till next reboot ,and the scaner still dont work lol.

VoG™ 22:25 11 Mar 03

This sounds like it was installed the wrong way round - i.e. plugged in then CD inserted.

Have you tried removing the software via Control Panel/Add&Remove programs and deleting it in Device Manager. Then reboot and start again.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 22:31 11 Mar 03

Hi yep i tried that removed it loaded it again pluged in scanner still not recognised i did notice that when xp looked on disk for drivers the xp one was not digitally signed would this matter ? and it was the disk that came with the pc and was working before,it as if the usb port is faulty but i tried it with the printer and it works great just dont work with the scanner and xp locks up.

VoG™ 22:39 11 Mar 03

Have you checked that it will run with XP click here

It may need updated drivers.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 22:44 11 Mar 03

Ty VoG™ this scanner came with pc and was installed and working with current drivers just stopped sudden so i was asuming that the drivers i had would work with it , but will check for new ones.

powerless 22:47 11 Mar 03

Install Service Pack One and the other windows updates. Then install the correct USB drivers. Also install the chipset drivers...

If you can reformat again that would help, (maybe not needed but i would do it) Before you do anything Install Service Pack One.

Then activate windows.

Now pop your scanner CD into the CD drive and install whatever is on there no doubt drivers and softare. Now connect the scanner. Let windows detect it will find what it needs and hey presto a perfectly functioning, fully activated, version of windows XP

Scan away ;-)

If it dont work i give up.

p.s. if its incompatiable with XP :-(

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:02 11 Mar 03

Ty, how many times do i need to activate this copy of xp i must have done it 6 times already lol
and i still get asked when i log on surley there must be an easier way

VoG™ 23:08 11 Mar 03

"This behavior is by design" click here

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:19 11 Mar 03

Just trawled through tons of stuff i didnt understand and am none the wiser and begining to think it would be easier to put 98 on pc and wipe xp altogether, just one thing how do i get the file system back to fat 32 ? lol

VoG™ 23:20 11 Mar 03

You can't without a reformat/fdisk. Sorry!

You could get it back to fat32 with an XP boot disc, u will need 6 floppy's. i installed XP on my old pc but the sound card and other things wouldn't work with XP so i put 98 back on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…