XP Problems in general

jonski 19:29 07 May 03

a pensioner in my area has recently installed XP on his computer and he`s downloaded service pack 1 and various other downloads from m/soft website.
PC is a Packard Bell p4 1.5 256 ram 20 gig h/d

He cannot shutdown his pc..it keeps rebooting, i checked this site out last night and read the probs others have had and enabled advanced power options...still no different...installed 2 different shutdown proggy`s namely 1 touch shutdown and quick shutdown...both shut pc down but it still reboots...also..cannot find language options for the keyboard...modem driver not found on xp cd...he`s also tried installing a game and installed no probs..but when he tries to play the game it says he needs the latest direct-x 8.1 which he already has and another error mentioning TNL which i assume has something to do with OPEN GL or some sort of graphics rendering...anyone any ideas.?

barrie_g 19:38 07 May 03

it sounds as though he may have taken the upgrade option, his best solution is to boot from the cd and do a clean reinstall of xp(advanced option) and format his drive using the xp setup.

jonski 20:09 07 May 03

thats exactly what he`s done...clean install

Morpheus© 20:13 07 May 03

A few of the posts on this site say members have had trouble with the service pack, might be best to do a clean install and leave the service pack out of it and just put in the ones you want when you need them....

jonski 20:42 07 May 03

thanxs morpheus, i just phoned him and he says the problem with the shutdown was there before service pack install..and thats why he did it..

cdb 20:50 07 May 03
  jonski 20:57 07 May 03

cheers m8...i`ll give it a go when i go round to his house tomorrow...

VoG™ 21:30 07 May 03

Also this click here

jonski 13:09 10 May 03

Thanx VoG™ made good reading...i`ve tried almost everything on the page..and now the bloke wants to go back to ME...i got everything else working for him except the shutdown problem and a pc game...but he still want to go back to win Me.

the shuting down and restarting out of the blue is commonly caused by a poor quality or ailing power supply unit.

TNL = texture and light some graphics cards(anything pre-gforce) cant do that. it sounds like the game in question is too advanced for the video card.

jonski 13:26 10 May 03

its not shutting down and restarting..its just not shutting down atall...it goes through all the motions then restarts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…