XP problem

TOFF 12:59 04 Apr 03

Last nite, i was using my xp computer when suddenly a blue screen came up with white writing.
it said there was an error and i should restart, amongst alot of other things. it also said that if a driver was mentioned, that i shpould write it down and check it, or something like that. (by the way, i have not installed any new hardware of software recently for anything to have caused this.) The computer now just loads up to the blue windows screen with the xp logo, and i cant get any further. i have tried using a startup disk, safe mode and pressing F8 when u turn it on to start the computer with the last good config, but none of these work.

Can anyone else suggest anything?...Please?

cheers

sil_ver 13:13 04 Apr 03

Not sure about this but if you boot from the XP CD you might get the option to repair XP. Another thing to try is, if you feel competent, switch off your PC and check all your connections then take the cover off and reseat any cards including RAM, just take the usual precautions regarding static.

TOFF 22:33 04 Apr 03

still doesnt work. the xp cd didn work and i disconnected all but the essential plugs from the back of the computer. is there anything else that i could do?

this computer cant just break down over nothing.

sil_ver 22:54 04 Apr 03

Did you set BIOS to 1st boot from CD?

TOFF 10:40 07 Apr 03

ive got it to work, but have not got the admin password. is there a default one? or is the one from when u make your xp user account?

cheers so far sil_ver

TOFF 11:33 07 Apr 03

ive got into the boot cd, and have started the chkdsk c: /r thingy, is this the right one to choose???

JoeC 11:39 07 Apr 03

this is the way to do it.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive.
Insert WinXP CD, restart computer.
When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console at this time.
In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup

Lozzy 11:43 07 Apr 03

If you don't want to Repair, Boot from CD let XP re-install over existing version as it will load whats required to fix the issue. It Will NOT put another version on your system unless you install it on another partition. What you will get in a dos looking screen in two lines showing Windows XP Home Edition or Professional.

I would also suggest when your at the C:/ prompt tpye sfc /checknow (note the space between the sfc and /) as this could also fix your issue..

TOFF 11:47 07 Apr 03

thanks guys, i will try both of those if my chkdsk doesnt work.

TOFF 15:16 07 Apr 03

if i repair xp, and i'm doing it now, will it delete all the different user information from the revious version? there are 3 users, and will each of their my documents be deleted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…