xp problem

I recently bought a refurbished Compaq P4 1.7 base unit from a nationally known company for a disabled friend. She lives some distance away so I have to advise over the phone.When she set it up and went to Windows update it says she has an illegal copy of XP. There is a cert. of authenticity on the side of the case. The company I bought it from are shut till the 17th. Any suggestions welcome.

terryf 12:08 13 May 06

Have a look at click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:09 13 May 06

click here

read my post Wed [email protected]

ACOLYTE 12:13 13 May 06

Is disabling the message really the answer?,i know it does stop the annoying message,but the best thing to do is wait till the "nationally known company" is open and complain very strongly to them,if they have sold you a PC with an illegal copy of XP on it,they have broke the law,it may just be a mistake they can happen,but i think it would be better to sort it out with them rather than just "fixing" the problem.Also by disabling the message and knowing that the OS is illegal you may be opening yourself and your friend to prosecution.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:22 13 May 06

The OS is probably not illegal (see my post linked above) Its just the way companies batch load the software on thier hard drives.

1st check the serial number in the system(Belarc click here will find it for you) matches the one on your sticker, if not then change the serial number (click here )to the one on the sticker and all should be well.

Thanks for the info. I am going to wait till the company is open on Wed. and see what they have to say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…