xp problem

stevega 11:30 05 Oct 03

Unable to restart XP pro it has a screen saying -- Shut down while program still running, it offers choice of returning to last working state or safe mode But unable to acheive any of these ..... any help please

spikeychris 11:33 05 Oct 03

"Shut down while program still running"..is that exactly what the error message says?. What prog is running?

Chris

stevega 11:45 05 Oct 03

hi chris

thats it and as for program don't know due to the fact that kids where on

thinking of just reinstalling

menorcarob2 11:48 05 Oct 03

insert xp disc and boot from the cd you can then repair the installation and it will be ok

spikeychris 11:55 05 Oct 03

Before you consider a repair installation (as this takes an age and wipes out all your updates and hot fixes) try this >>

Turn on the computer, and press the 'f8' key to get to the XP boot menu.

Choose "Safe mode with command prompt".
The system will ask you to choose the OS. It will say Windows XP Professional

Press 'enter'.

At the command prompt, type the following EXACTLY as I have it written here:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press 'enter'.

The system restore console will appear.
You will only have the choice to return to an early configuration. Perform the system restore to a time before the kids touched it.

Chris

stevega 12:37 05 Oct 03

OK Chris

Will give this a try thanks for your help

Bazz2000 12:40 05 Oct 03

If I was you I would set XP so that the kids are only "Limited user" instead of "system Administrator" That way only you will be able to install programs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…