xp pro and xp home on same computer different HD

ikoz 12:56 02 Feb 11

on my current computer i have xp home, on my old comp which i have xp pro i want to put the old hard drive with xp pro into new comp to use as second drive, would there be any issues with the different os , (i wouldn't have thought so but what do i know)and could i chose which os to boot up in?

woodchip 13:06 02 Feb 11

There should not be, but I Suggest you need to use a boot manager after if Windows does not create one. Also after, create Images of both drives using Acronis or similar software, as when creating Images it also images the Partition instructions i.e boot sector so when you restore the Image its all put back including the info above

ikoz 13:50 02 Feb 11

i thought i would oniy need to make an image if i was going to put it on to the same hard drive, i intend to use both hard drives

woodchip 15:54 02 Feb 11

No. even using two Hard Drives you need to make a Image of both as the boot sector changes on both when dual booting

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 02 Feb 11

If you do not intend to use the operating system on the second drive you do not need to do anything other than connect the drive.

formatting the drive will give you more space.

ikoz 12:25 03 Feb 11

thanks for the help.
I'll probably go with fruit bat and if needs be follow woodchips advice,the difference between xp home and xp pro are almost non existent for my needs.
thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…