XP pro to XP Home

Neil-175883 08:49 17 May 05

I have been given a pc with xp pro but unfortunately i do not have XP Pro software but do have Home XP i Know you can upgrade from home to pro but can you downgrade from pro to home

Indigo 1 09:16 17 May 05

If you install it as an upgrade, you will then have to to enter the new reg key and it will just carry on like an upgrade over the original. XP Home will then be treated as the new version.

It might be better to do a full format and re-install of Windows to make sure that it runs smoothly. To be on the safe side, make a full backup first.

Backup tools like these click here are very usefull.

anchor 09:26 17 May 05

Why do you want to downgrade?. As far as I know, any software programme that runs on XP Pro will run on XP Home.

I have a notebook with XP-Pro and a desktop with XP-Home, and have no problem in running any programme on either.

Indigo 1 09:33 17 May 05

Some programes such as Anti-Virus or Firewalls or Anti-Malware may need to be dowloaded for the specific O/S (Home or Pro).

TomJerry 10:37 17 May 05

for software compitability

they are identical OS only Pro has a few extra functions

absloutely no point to downgrade

Neil-175883 08:30 18 May 05

Thanks to you all the only problem i have is as i was given the pc with pro on i dont have the license however i do have xp Home are these therefore the same licenses

HondaMan 11:10 18 May 05

Strictly, you cannot use one licence for two systems, unless it specifically allows this.

My best advice would be to purchase a legal copy of XP Pro. They are/were available more cheaply from people like Dabs.com with a purchase of an "essential component", ie cooling fan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…